Sweetest Day Gifts
These Sweetest Day gifts are
true to the spirit of the founder of the holiday!
In the early 20's, Herbert Kingston, who worked for a candy company,
wanted to do something special for the orphans, sick folks and other
unfortunate citizens of Cleveland. With the help of friends and a
couple of movie stars, Herbert started Sweetest Day. Thousands of
children received a box of candy that day and the date went down in
The holiday is still celebrated today, especially in our area - the MidWest. Here are some fun gift ideas for Sweetest Day:
Sweetest Day Gifts
- Make your own gourmet chocolate candies with different
varieties and colors of chocolate and some small candy molds. My
friend, Alisa, told me about doing this with her son. Being the artsy
person she is, she colors white chocolate with food coloring and uses a
paint brush to paint designs and accents on the inside of the molds.
After that has hardened, she pours milk or dark chocolate to fill the
molds. She puts the tray of molds in the freezer for a little while to
harden more. Everyone thinks the chocolates are beautiful...and
- Make or buy a huge batch of caramel popcorn. Divide it up
into small plastic bags and tie with a fun ribbon.
- One of the most inexpensive candies you can make is butter
toffee. The most simple recipes only use two ingredients: butter (or
margarine) and brown sugar. After you make it, break the toffee into
small pieces and give in a small glass dish (I find really nice ones at
- Mix up a batch of sugar cookie dough and wrap it in plastic
wrap. Include a couple of fun cookie cutters, some sugar sprinkles and
- For someone who tries to eat healthier, bring them Cinnamon
Almonds or a basket of fresh or dried fruit.
- Give a gift certificate to one of these sweet places: donut
shop, old fashioned ice cream parlor, bakery, coffee shop, online candy
Sweetest Day Gift Ideas that
Don't Involve Food
- Buy a flowering indoor plant to bring the sweet outdoor
smell inside for the winter ahead.
- Select a pretty card and a frame to put it in after it is
- Pick out some extra sweet smelling candles like my current
favorite, Cinnamon Teacakes.
- Find or make a mixture tape or CD with love songs - sweet
music for someone you love.
- Run an ad in the newspaper letting everyone know how sweet
this person is. In a few words, tell something especially sweet they
- Invite friends to gather to read poetry - that you each
have written or from classic poets - in celebration of Sweetest Day.
See some sweet gift baskets you can make
...or see some fun Boyfriend gift ideas
...or check out these other inexpensive sweet gifts for a man
to Home Page from Sweetest day Gifts